Afterwards, I took Everest to McDonalds for a breakfast treat. I told him ahead of time that we were not getting any toys whatsoever--only breakfast. Unfortunately, once inside, he would have none of it. It was one of the biggest public tantrums I think I have seen him perform. I stayed absolutely calm and strong though and didn't give in. We came home with nothing at all.
After much crying and my giving him a long hug, he calmed down. Later he apologized for the way he acted. Wow. That's a win for the parents!
I took off to work for awhile at Einstein's, but after an hour, I felt restless and just wanted to be at home. I can't explain it, but concentration completely evaded me. Everest was napping, and I spent 45 minutes to finish a cover letter for a story I have been meaning to submit to Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. Got it finished and submitted.

Everest woke up just before it was time to get Julie at the bus stop. We had enough time to play a game of Uno before we left. Then we all said goodbye to Heath because he was leaving for the next day and a half to teach a course up north. The kids and I headed out to the barber's shop after that. Everest has been getting pretty shaggy.


The guy cut it a little shorter than we usually like it, but Everest's hair grows back pretty fast, so he'll be fine.
We swung by Subway to pick up dinner for later on the way home. The kids played for a bit before I had them put in a movie so I could do my tutoring appointment at 5:00. They helped themselves to their dinner while I was Skyping, and when we were done, I took them to Safeway to pick up individual ice creams for being so good while I was doing my appointment.
When we got home, they said they still had energy, but it was too dark to play outside by then. I made them a written obstacle course that involved running around the table, cartwheels, racing up the stairs, and various other tasks, which I hoped would help wear them out. They went to bed with only a little trouble, and I tried to rest afterwards as well.
I really missed Heath, and felt somewhat melancholy about being alone. Thankfully, my Muse girls--Legolas and Puella--came by. I made vegan brownies and guacamole for Puella, and my famous chili dip for Legolas. :o) We had a fun time chatting and laughing around the kitchen table. They took off right around midnight because everyone had worked or had somewhere to be in the morning. It was a lovely time together with friends.

Whoo-hoo! I'm very proud of you for staying firm. Well done. =) Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rebekah! It's so hard to stay strong and consistent sometimes--especially when I get so tired. We're trying to get more sleep though, and that has been helping a ton.
ReplyDelete